For companies and businesses, they have many options to secure and guard their files like using vps hosting or having a designated IT department to monitor and check each computer workstation. But what about your personal computer, how are you able to protect and secure your files and other important content? Once you connect to the internet, you became expose and vulnerable to attacks of hackers or viruses that can corrupt your files. It is such a big nightmare indeed thus, you need to make sure that your computer is secured all the time. In this article, we will share some tips to help secure your personal computer.
- Install reliable anti-virus and anti-spyware software – first of all, make sure to install reliable anti-virus and anti-spyware software on your computer. Any device connected to the internet is vulnerable to viruses and threats like malware and Trojan attacks. Anti-virus software does not necessarily make your computer fool proof from these attacks but it surely helps.
- Adjust your browser settings – you do many transactions online like online shopping, social media and others so you need to make sure to adjust the level of privacy and security of your browse. You can set your browser to prevent opening sites that are suspicious and unsecured. Some hackers use websites to attack a computer and all its content.
- Password protect important files and lock your device – it may be a no-brainer but you should make sure to set a password on your computer to ensure that no unauthorised users will be able to access it. You should do the same with important files that you do not want others to see – set a password that needs to be entered to open.
- Use VPN connection – a virtual private network marks your IP address, replacing it with a different one so that your ISP or Internet service provider can no longer monitor your browsing activities. It also helps you protect your location.
- Do not save credit card details in any website – some websites promise to have secured connection but still, it is not recommendable to save or store your credit card details most especially your card’s CVV code.
- Keep up with system and software security updates – it is also advisable to always check if your software and operating system are up to date. These updates are important to ensure that the software especially anti-virus and anti-spyware performs well.
- Enable a firewall – a firewall acts as a barrier between your computer or network and the internet. It closes the computer ports that prevent communication with your device. This protects your computer by stopping threats from entering the system and spreading all throughout your device.
You need to be extra cautious when it comes to your files whether photos, videos, credit card information, personal files or work files. You do not want to lose your personal files because of a virus or worst hacker to steal your identity. Follow the tips that we discussed here and lastly, make sure to back up at all times.