A lightning detector is a useful device that can detect lightning that occurs as an outcome of thunderstorms. The year of the invention of the first lightning detection device is 1894.
The lightning detector and its types:
The three main kinds of lightning detectors are:
- Ground-based systems- Use triangulation from different locations for determining distance. They can effectively calculate the severity and direction of lightning before it hits a place.
- Space-based systems- They locate lightning intensity, range, and bearing.
- Mobile systems- Calculate distance with the help of attenuation and signal frequency.
Large airlines need weather radar more than lightning detectors. Weather radars come with storm tracking software that effectively detects even minor storms that give rise to turbulence. Smaller aircraft mainly rely on lightning detectors.
An efficient lightning detection network can be immensely useful. Two main areas in which these devices guide people are:
- Early warning- IC flash detection is significant as they usually occur from 10 to 30 minutes before CG flashes. So, they are capable of providing earlier warnings about developing storms, hugely enhancing the detector’s effectiveness for the safety of people.
Increased sensitivity gives warnings of storms that have already developed and may be progressing toward the place where the detection system is there.
- Storm location- Even in broad daylight, it is possible for storm chasers to make use of directional thunderstorm detectors. One can point these detectors at different clouds for locating thunderclouds even at a great distance. It becomes particularly useful in times of identifying strong thunderstorms like the ones which can take the form of a tornado.
Weaker storms usually produce lower flash rates. But, in case of massive storms, the flash rates are higher.
- Microburst prediction- Microburst prediction is another big advantage of installing lightning detection software.
Advantages of storm tracking devices:
Devices that can track storms are helpful in the following ways:
- Storm identification- Storm tracking systems are capable of identifying the type of storm before it takes place.
- Storm intensity- Prior information about the intensity at which the storm will hit a particular area can prepare people to face it.
- Storm alerts- Advanced weather tracking devices minimize false storm alerts.
Are weather stations necessary in schools?
Weather is unpredictable. Any second a tornado can take place in a city. Thousands of students study in a school and parents rely on the school authority to take care of their dear ones. An educational weather station ensures the safety of school students, visitors, and faculty who teach there.
School administrators can keep the children and their staff safe with the help of outdoor alerting devices that alert in times of lightning, storms and other severe weather conditions. So, when it comes to protecting children, all big schools are relying on weather detection devices.
So, lightning prediction devices and weather radars are there to protect human beings from dreadful weather conditions like tornadoes, and thunderstorms. Installing these devices can ensure the safety of lives in any organization or institution.