Nowadays every company that wants to have a good reputation on the market has to respect quality standards. Such standards concern various aspects of companies’ activities.
For example, there are quality standards regarding management, environment, safety in the workplace, food, energy, and even IT security. When outsourcing an EMS provider, it is best to know what quality standards there are and check if the provider respects them.
International Organization for Standardization (ISO) Standards
International Organization for Standardization (ISO) develops and publishes international standards. Those standards have names that start with ISO acronym followed by a specific number of a developed standard.
For example, one of the most known ISO standards regards environmental management and is known by the name ISO 14001, which belongs to the ISO 14000 standards series. ISO 14001 standard is acquired by companies that want to support the protection of the environment. Therefore, their actions should be consistent with the idea of sustainable development.
Other examples of ISO standards are:
- ISO 9001 (a standard that regards quality management systems, it examines basic business qualities such as client satisfaction, complaints procedure, and contract review; ISO 9001 should be considered a very important standard by every client),
- ISO 13485 (regards the manufacture of medical devices),
- ISO 27001 (regards information security management, which is important, for instance, because clients have to trust outsourced companies with sensitive data),
- ISO 29001 (regards everything that concerns products used in gas sectors, including the manufacturing process of those products),
- ISO 22301 (regards security and resilience of business continuity management systems),
- and ISO/TS 16949 (regards everything that concerns products used in the automotive industry, including the manufacturing process of those products).
Aerospace Quality Standards
Interestingly, there are quality standards regarding only the aerospace industry. AS standards concern mostly quality management systems. The following ones are crucial for manufacturers of aerospace parts:
- AS 9100 (design and development),
- AS 9110 (maintenance and repair),
- AS 9120 (stockholding and distribution).
IPC Quality Standards
IPC is a trade organization that focuses on standardizing the production of electronic products. That is why IPC quality standards are necessary to follow by every respected EMS provider. Here are a couple of the most popular and important IPC quality standards:
- IPC-A-600 (quality standard regarding printed boards)
- IPC-A-610 (quality standard regarding electronics assembly)
- IPC J-STD-001 (quality standard regarding soldered electrical and electronic assemblies)
- IPC/WHMA-A-620 (quality standard regarding cable and wire harness assemblies)
- IPC-7711/7721 (quality standard regarding modification and repairment of electronic assemblies)
Remember to always choose an EMS provider that has valid, up-to-date quality certificates.
For more information, see: https://asselems.com/