Technology is becoming more and more advanced as the year’s progress. As we enter into era after era, we find that humanity’s advancements are not on a small scale. From cars to artificial intelligence, humans are not far off from success. One example of technological development is IoT.
IoT stands for the “internet of things.” It means the interconnected network of everyday technological objects obtaining, transferring, and processing data within this network. This may confuse you; how does it work? What kind of data? What are everyday objects used in IoTs?
IoT is quite a recent development; it came about two decades ago, in 1999, a very large step for humankind. Companies, businesses, establishments, even housing systems are establishing the use of IoT in everyday life. What is an IoT Network? How does it work? How can it help us? Let us guide you through the step-by-step process.
What is an IoT Network?
An IoT consists of a series of specialized smart devices, such as laptops, computers, wearables, security cameras, etc. These devices are connected through internal software called IoT gateways that allow different devices to connect for data processing.
Any device embedded with sensors and processors, any smart device, can be used in an internet of things network. These devices can take in their surroundings and feed changes in their surroundings into the system.
The system then begins to distribute this data among the network to other devices. These devices then process this data in the ways deemed necessary and act upon it to regulate the changes in the environment. These devices do not need human interaction to work properly; rather, they are automated to do these things independently, though humans can easily access this data.
What is an example of an IoT network?
IoT is beginning to imbue itself into our daily lives as well as our professional lives. Some of the following are the biggest examples of IoT systems used in our everyday lives:
- Smart security systems
- Automated home functioning (e.g., TVs connected to your phone)
- Workout wearables (They monitor heart rate, breathing rate, blood pressure, etc. depending on your movements)
- Animal tracking chips (You can track your pet’s whereabouts through a microchip and your phone)
Benefits of establishing IoT networks in daily life
IOTs can make our lives a whole lot easier by helping us keep track of things without man-to-man interaction. Here are some ways it can help:
- Automating processes
- Reducing work done
- Monitoring different aspects
- Analyzing different environments.
Downfalls of IoT networks
Of course, there is always something bound to be not 100% perfect with every technological advancement. The system still needs refining, but here are some drawbacks of IoTs that you should consider:
- The more devices are in an IoT network, the more vulnerable it becomes to security breaches.
- The crashing or failing of a single device can bring the entire network down and make it unstable.
- Data from every second of every day is obtained by IoTs, making different bits of data difficult to find or unmanageable.
- Much internet of things consulting is required to set up IoTs in an efficient way.
- You have to make sure your devices are compatible with each other to form a stable IoT.
However, as IoT networks have more benefits than drawbacks, it is usually something an IoT network user would have to face.
Steps taken to make developments in IoT networks
Over time, new things are introduced in the form of an IoT network. Different trends in IoT are introduced as progressions are made; these trends help make daily life simpler. The IoT sector is beginning to nestle itself in various aspects of life to try and make our jobs as functioning humans a little easier, taking steps to introduce new trends in IoT:
- A wider range of satellite-to-ground access. (e.g., Better internet connectivity)
- Newer technologies in IoT can help the healthcare sector.
- Location Data in consumer services.
- Increase in security to make sure privacy and safety of the IoT system are protected.
Should you input IoT networks in your daily life?
Whether inputting a well-processed security system in your home or a high-functioning interconnection of computers in your workplace, the internet of things has its benefits. We hope this article has helped clarify how IoT can benefit and affect your functional life; the answer to this is up to your situation and what kind of IoT network you are establishing!