Windows, doors, and roofs are one of the most important things that require regular inspection and periodic repairs. However, most of the house owners delay the window replacement task until they get time on the weekend or till the window glass break. But the significant thing is to know is, replace the window as soon as you identify the fault.
Why replacing the window is important?
- Windows are an important source of managing energy. If you witness a sudden spike in the electrical bill than the possible cause would be, one your window glazing is loosened due to which the warm or hot air enters your residential space. Thus, it takes a toll on your HVAC (heating, ventilation, and air conditioning) and consequently, it consumes extra electrical power in order to maintain the internal temperature.
- Often this error is not visible to the naked eye and thus, it requires hiring professional residential ventilation services to spot the cause.
When is the best time to replace the window?
People often feel troubled when to replace the window? And frequently ask for a recommendation. According to several residential window replacement experts, there are two ideal seasons that are best of window replacement.
- During spring, this is often recommended because spring contains moderate air quality. It is neither hot nor cold, thus, changing the window in this season doesn’t disturb the internal temperature and less energy is used to regulate the residential temperature.
- During the colder month. Most people prefer changing windows in spring, but the second most effective season in terms of repairmen’s availability is winter. Almost all repairmen are free in winter and besides this, the repair cost also considerably low then spring.
Checklist for house window replacement
For DIY window replacement, it is necessary you get yourself familiarize yourself with the following terms for effective window replacement.
1. Caulking and glazing putty.
- The first and foremost thing you need to get is a quality caulking or glazing putty. These two things are used to seal the window frame to make it waterproof. Additionally, it is used to prevent the moister from entering the house.
- One of the common signs of faulty caulking is, either rainwater enter into the house or water spot appears around the window frames.
- If you don’t know how to apply glazing putty on your window then you can consult various DIY tutorials to know the glazing putty applying techniques.
2. Analyze hardware
- Instead of purchasing new window hardware, make sure you analyze the existing window movable spare part. If they are in good condition then you don’t have to replace them until they are rust or make the window opening difficult. Comparatively to this, often many window repairmen and interior designers suggest to now replace the old window for two reasons. One they enhance the interior and secondly, they provide antique finishing.
3. Inspect surface before installing window frame
- The significant thing is to inspect the window installation surface for bulges, empty spots, nail marks, etc. To prep the surface, you will have to fill in every hole and glaze it enough so the surface holds the paint.
4. Consider using a recycle window
- One of the significant things you can consider is to get an environmentally friendly window. Most of the old windows are often recycled and later used to give antique look. Besides this, it is less expensive than a new window.
- For installing an older window panel, you can hire professional services to replace the glass, glazing, and paint. Additionally, you can request the window repairmen to provide a better-quality eco-friendly window or modify the existing window to provide an antique look.
5. Conduct Dry fit test
- Before installing a window, it is recommended to conduct a dry fit test. This test requires no glazing and equipment. Further, it helps the window installer to precheck the window measure. Besides this, it enables the person to analyze whether the surface is ready or not for new window fitting.
Tips for window replacement
Some common tips for you know for self DIY window replacement are mentioned below.
- Conduct self-research. Before purchasing a new window, equipment, or even hiring a repairman, always conduct a self-research to analyze the market price. Additionally, this helps to identify and compare services or written estimate with the available budget.
- Look into the types of windows offered by the roof contractors. The second tip you should consider is, look into the type of windows available in the market. Later consult your contractor to identify the product they offer. Additionally, ask for the warranty of the product in addition to the durability period.
Look in to contract policy. The third most significant thing is to thoroughly review the contract and payment policy mentioned in the contract. Besides you can also add the ‘cool off’ period as one of the mandatory contract terms. This term and condition allow both the contractor and client to break the contract without paying the liability fee. Additionally, this allows them to change the contractor if anyone is not satisfied with the services or behavior.