If you are thinking of settling in Europe, the Portuguese Golden Visa program may be the best opportunity that opens the door to all EU countries. Investors are invited to contribute a certain amount to the country’s development in return for a visa and residence permit. You are not required to live in Portugal full-time to keep your visa valid, and this is another aspect that attracts applicants.
In this short post, we are going to take a brief look at the Portuguese Golden Visa benefits, the requirements you will have to fulfill, and the investment options available. If you need more detailed information or a consultant that will consider your particular circumstances and advise you on the best way to reach your goal, read our complete guide devoted to Investor Visa in Portugal.
First of all, why is it that the Portuguese Golden Visa program is a highly recommendable option?
- It does not cost an arm and a leg. Moreover, most people return the amount invested in a matter of 5 years.
- Your family, including children under 26, can be easily included in documents as applicants. Children will surely benefit from European schools and universities that will be accessible at EU rates (which are much higher for international students).
- As soon as you get your Golden Visa, all Schengen countries will be visa-free for you, and you will have no residence period limits.
- You will have to spend just 7 days a year in Portugal to keep your visa valid, which means that you can actually live anywhere you like and still enjoy all the Golden Visa benefits.
- EU and OECD membership means that you will never find Portugal on the black or grey lists of these organizations.
- The Golden Visa is the first step towards naturalization and Portuguese citizenship.
Sounds impressive, doesn’t it?
The requirements to be fulfilled by the investor are not very tight:
- Clean criminal record (applies to each family member)
- No previous refusals regarding visas or entry to the European Union
- Investor’s funds have to be generated from a legitimate source (proof will be required)
- Adult children included in the application have to be financially dependent on you (with adequate proof of that, such as a certificate that confirms studying at school or university)
- Medical coverage for the duration of stay in Portugal
- Fulfilling the investment conditions
- The acquired asset should be held for at least 5 years
The amount to be invested ranges from 250,000 to 1,500,000 euros. There are eight investment opportunities you can choose from:
- Capital investment in securities, equity, or public debt, or simply making a deposit of 1,500,000 euros
- Create ten jobs for the locals and prove this fact
- Buy real estate that costs at least 350,000 euros. You will have to complete the transaction or provide a promissory note to confirm the initial contribution to the developer
- Buy real estate in the urban regeneration area that is at least 30 years old. You will have to spend 350,000 euros (renovation included)
- Invest 500,000 euros in R&D (public or private)
- Support art or national heritage reconstruction for the amount of 250,000 euros
- Acquire shares in venture or investment funds for the amount of 500,000 euros
- Contribute 500,000 euros in business by establishing a new company or supporting the locals, and create 5 jobs
You can choose one of these eight opportunities and discuss it with our specialists. If you are curious to know what documents you will need to prepare, follow the link above to read our complete guide.
Portugal is looking forward to meeting with you!