Most computer users don’t believe they need to pay for an antivirus. It’s an overhead cost- an unnecessary burden. Besides, when you buy a computer, it comes with an in-built free antivirus. It’s good enough for the task, right?
Let me burst your bubble. That in-built antivirus software is limited in what it can do. You are not 100% safe from viruses, malware or spyware. Your OS is naked to hackers, and they are free to manipulate and steal your data.
A good antivirus (which you pay for) provides rock-solid protection from viruses, ransomware, hackers and many more. Even better, it won’t cost you loads of money.
Let’s review some of the best and inexpensive antivirus software in 2019. These options give you total security, advanced features, and settings without denting your pockets. Jump straight ahead.
|Name||Bitdefender Antivirus Plus||Norton Security Deluxe||PC Matic||MC Afee Total Protection||Kaspersky Anti-virus|
|Threat URL blocking||ü||ü||ü||ü||ü|
|Discounted price||$25.99 (1 device/year)||$49.99 (5 devices/year)||$49.99 (5 devices/year)||$24.99 (1 device/year)||$35.99 (1 device/year)|
- Bitdefender Antivirus Plus 2019
Operating system: Windows only
Bitdefender’s advanced multilayer ransomware detector safeguards your computer from a variety of malware types including Trojans, ransomware, phishing schemes, and rootkits. Get 100% reliable and accurate virus detection.
Top-notch anti-phishing feature tailored to block access to malicious websites and corrupt downloads.
Intelligent password manager secures your personal and bank details. You can rest assured that your online transactions are masked from hackers or keyloggers. Excellent Wi-Fi security defender scans your Wi-Fi connection from threats.
Bitdefender’s VPN feature ensures your online activities cannot be traced, captured or logged. The antivirus software serves you a comprehensive report of out-of-date software and a link to upgrade to the latest version.
- Masks your sensitive details like bank account information
- In-built personal firewall
- Permanently deletes viruses while securing your computer
- Limited VPN and lacks parental control feature
- Hogs system resources and slows down performance
- Norton Security Deluxe
Operating system: Microsoft, Windows, Mac OS, IOS, Android
Norton antivirus security deluxe is an excellent malware and antivirus hunter. You get 100% guaranteed value back for your money. This security software comes with an advanced URL blocker to prevent access to malicious websites and downloads.
The sophisticated secure search feature scans your search results for viruses. You can only access sites with a clean bill of health. Top-notch file intelligence feature scans and quarantine potential system threats.
A major turn off is the unreliable web browser extensions. Also, Norton is not 100% secure. Some malware claimed to be quarantined cut through the software.
- Superior malware, ransomware and spyware detector
- Serves you with a detailed report on the type of virus detected, source, frequency and time of discovery
- Intelligent password manager hides your personal and bank details
- Guaranteed tech support
- Less impact on system performance
- Zero family safety features, VPN and a personal firewall
- No backup option for your files and data to your windows PC
- Pc Matic
Operating system: Windows (Vista, 8.1, 8, 10, XP, 7)
Pc Matic comes with an impressive antivirus and antimalware protection. Keep away malware, spyware, Trojan horses, bots, rootkits, adware, viruses, and keyloggers. The smart malware and ad blocker feature hides your sensitive information from invasive pop-ups and malicious ads.
An advanced automatic whitelist feature secures your PC. Whitelisting technology blocks any unknown program that is not part of the list. This way you ensure 100% protection to your server. The only drawback is whitelisting also blocks access to authentic websites.
Pc Matic offers you a 7-day interval for performance monitoring and analysis. Any threats and software freezes are wiped off permanently from your system to maximize performance.
Gets free, high-quality training on cybersecurity from KnowBe4 to safeguard your information. So much detail making your head buzz? Compare Norton Antivirus vs. Pc Matic. A more in-depth comparison will help you make the right choice.
- Excellent malware and virus defender
- Robust ad blocker technology to troubleshoot potential issues and mask threats
- Minimal hogging of resources
- Supports up to 5 devices at once
- The malware protector is not tight proof- malware can still access your server
- No human interface to assist you.
- Whitelisting blocks valid sites and programs
- McAfee Total Protection
Operating system: Windows, Mac OS, iOS, ANDROID
Sophisticated malware protection to block malware, malicious websites, phishing schemes, Trojans and rootkits. Blocked threats are moved to the quarantine folder. You get a comprehensive report on the type of threat, and the site found an IP address.
Intelligent personal firewall scans your internet connection for threats and prevents unauthorized access. Advanced antiphishing and email spam filters keep out viruses from emails and file downloads. Family safety features enable restricted parental control.
Social protection scans your social media platforms for dangerous links or downloads on your timeline. Easy to use and navigate dashboard giving you a clear view of your server’s performance.
An available human interface provides you with 24/7 tech support.
- Email spam blocking feature
- Excellent anti phishing detectors
- Total protection to your device (Windows, Mac OS, iOS, ANDROID)
- Resource-hungry- slows system applications while scanning for threats.
- Expensive compared to similar antivirus software. Check this McAfee vs Avast Comparison for pricing and specifications.
- Kaspersky Anti-virus
Ideal for pc users who need basic computer protection.
Advanced crypto mining software offers you total protection from viruses, malware, ransomware, phishing, spyware and malicious websites.
Kaspersky is resource friendly. It does not hog your computer resources or lag your system performance. Beginner friendly interface and controls to track your security checks.
3 user license to protect your connected devices with a single subscription. Secure browsing features. Safe browsing feature displays an icon alongside your search results to show you safe sites to access.
- Detects 100% malware threats
- Lightweight- your computer runs on full speed performance
- 30-day free trial
- Limited for pc and windows users
- Lacks additional features- personal manager, Mac and Android protection, personal firewall and parental control
There are multiple antivirus software in the market. It can be quite mind-numbing having to pick the right one. Take note, investing in the right antivirus is crucial for your PC performance and overall health.
Consider the malware and virus detection rate, easy to use interface and try-before-buying option. Keep in mind what your needs are so that you pick a suitable choice.