When you are a graphic designer, your primary weapon is a compatible and capable laptop. There’s no room for a laptop that will not simply be enough to get the job done great each and every time.
Just like when you’re in the military and you have your rifle as your best friend, graphic designers are obligated to have the best laptop, not just for them to have an easier job, but this ensures their effectiveness as graphic designers.
When choosing the best laptop for designers, there are a lot of important things to keep in mind. You can never just see one and decide to buy it.
Here I will be listing some of the qualities of the best laptop for a graphic designer must-have. Keep in mind, these qualities are proven to get the job done and are backed up and used by the best graphic designers there are.
Qualities of a Great Graphic Design Laptop
1. Must have a great CPU
The processor is the one that tells the laptop how to behave and whether to be a good one or a mediocre type.
It’s obvious that as a graphic designer, you must have a fast and powerful processor for you to be able to run complex designing tools. After all, these tools are the bread and butter of a successful designer.
Aside from the CPU, you must also make sure that the laptop’s graphic quality is one of the best there is. It can either be a graphic chip integrated into the processor or a separate graphics card. Using an integrated chip though is usually enough and will save you a lot of money than buying a separate graphics card.
2. Must have a lot of memory
RAM or the laptop’s memory holds the data of the laptop, such as the current work you are doing or the graphic designs you have already done.
When you usually have to open a lot of applications at the same time, or you have to work with large files, having more RAM is necessary for you to seamlessly move between applications.
Try to have as much RAM as you can when you are getting a laptop. This will make the process easier and you can get more work done when you have a large memory.
3. Must have the best monitor size
As we all know, when you are a graphic designer, you must be able to work on your designs with precision. And what can help you more with that than a monitor that is big enough for you to accurately know every little detail?
15 inches is one of the choices you have. But if you really want to have the best, then getting a 17-inch monitor is the way to go.
Some laptops now have the capability to have a touchscreen and you can also opt for that. You can also use a compatible pen for your designing needs and it will really work wonders.
Now those are just some of the qualities a laptop must have for graphic designing work to be done best.
You may ask though, why go through all the trouble in finding the best laptop when there are affordable ones in the market?
Well, the answer is simple. When you are not using the best laptop that fits your designing needs, there will be a lot of consequences. And the job you do may not be at par with what the other better graphic designers can do. You don’t want your work to be worse than others, do you?
Here are some of the reasons why you should never go for a laptop that is not simply the best for you and how it can affect you as a graphic designer.
Reasons Why Graphic Designers Shouldn’t Settle for Less When It Comes to Laptops
- You will not get the job done with a laptop that has a resolution of 1680×1050. When you choose a laptop like this, you will end up not having the best resolution for the job you need to do. This will affect your graphic designs and will make you lose customers because of bad outputs.
- Low-end laptops often use a graphic card that shares the main system memory. This will make you lose 100-200 megabytes of RAM. Memory in a laptop is very important, and not having an acceptable one means disaster.
- Laptops can be expensive and that is a fact. But when you go for just anything for you not to spend much, then you are compromising your work. Color resolution and a wide color palette are very important when choosing a laptop. When you settle for something less than 100% of Adobe RGB, then you are not using the proper laptop.
- Getting a laptop that is not high-end will make your job harder. You cannot run multiple applications at the same time and as experienced graphics designers will say, when you are working on a project, you will most likely be opening a lot of graphic designing tools. Laptops that are not designed to bear may crash, costing you precious time.
- As a graphic designer, it is your duty to your customers to produce the best quality of work. When you compromise for a laptop that is inexpensive and is less capable than the latest laptops, you are not being responsible and are jeopardizing your credibility no customer will entrust you with their business again.
You are a graphic designer for a reason. And when you have chosen your career and have decided that this is the path you want to be successful in, then you have the responsibility to equip yourself with the best laptop to get the work done right.
Choosing the most suitable laptop can be hard, especially since there are a lot of factors to consider. But when you know what specifications to have and why it will be a lot easier for you to decide. After all, it’s your career in line.
If you would like to learn more and read articles about technology and the digital age, you can check Techzimo and you will find a lot of articles there to browse and enjoy.